In Part 1 of this series, we defined protein synthesis and looked at some of the 5 ways you can stimulate this exciting process. Specifically, using BCAAs/EAAs, and leucine/protein timing. In Part 2, we’ll look at the rest of these tips. We’ll also look at several 5% Nutrition supplements that optimize protein synthesis stimulation. Let’s dive right in!
#3 - Use All Day You May Intra-Workout
We have seen that consuming well-timed protein meals or shakes is a good idea. Real food protein, your favorite 5% protein powder, and an amino formula like ADYM help you stay in a positive metabolic state. It’s always a good idea to take in a protein source with some simple carbs 1-2 hours before you train. Think in terms of 30-50 grams each of fast-digesting protein and simple carbs. Use ADYM intra-workout to stay in a positive metabolic balance while you train. The high leucine content, the rest of the EAAs, and the exclusive CEAAs all work together. Not to mention, the rest of the ADYM formula is specifically designed for intra-workout and recovery. The importance of an intra-workout becomes clear when you realize one of the key benefits of ADYM. Namely, you sidestep the catabolic nature of training and jumpstart recovery.
# 4 - Use 5% Nutrition Test To Boost Testosterone Production
Testosterone is considered one of the most powerful metabolically positive hormones produced by the body. That’s for good reason because it directly affects muscle growth. It does this by attaching to receptors on the surface of muscle cells. From there it amplifies the signals in muscle tissue that stimulate protein synthesis. Also, testosterone increases growth hormone levels, which is released in response to intense exercise. Like testosterone, growth hormone increases protein synthesis. By stimulating the release of GH, and its own actions, testosterone supports the process of protein synthesis in general. (9)
This is where 5% Test Booster comes into the picture. What better way to increase your body’s natural production of testosterone than this innovative formula? With ingredients like boron, long jack, fenugreek, and shilajit, Test Booster will give you the results you’re looking for. There’s also DIM to combat excess estrogen. You can take this formula one step further by stacking it with Core D-Aspartic Acid and Core ZMA. This is the ultimate 5% Test Stack!
#5 - Training Suggestions
It will come as no surprise that studies show resistance exercise increases protein synthesis (10). Even so, you have to train hard enough for growth to occur. The type of training that appears to be most effective is progressively heavier loads (progressive overload) using compound exercises. Reps should be in the 6-8 range. Also, use an explosive positive phase and slower negative phase on each rep. Hold the stretch just shy of the turnaround of the movement for 10-15 seconds. (10, 11)
Here’s how this looks using the bench press as an example.
- Lower the bar using a 4-5 second tempo. Flex hard during this phase of the rep and control the bar all the way down. Make sure your form is perfect.
- At the bottom, hold the stretch for 10-15 seconds. Do this on every rep. You may have to work up to 10 seconds.
- Explode the weight back up to the start position. Make sure you’re controlling the bar.
- Do 6-8 reps this way, and use this technique for 1-2 sets per bodypart per workout.
- Once you’ve done your main sets like this, feel free to train using more moderate weights and higher reps. If you prefer, you can push past failure using rest-pause, forced reps, or drop sets.
Once your workout is over, think recovery!
Sleep And 5% Drink Sleep Grow
Sleep is huge for recovery. It’s also important for protein synthesis. Of course, 5% Nutrition is well aware of this and we have the perfect supplement. Drink Sleep Grow not only helps you get a good night’s sleep, but also stimulates protein synthesis. It does this with the innovative timed-release form of leucine known as Active-TR™ L-Leucine. This revolutionary leucine ingredient does not begin to digest until 2 hours after you consumed it. This means sustained protein synthesis activation. There’s also glutamine, an amino that has anti-catabolic properties. It also works with the BCAAs in this formula to stimulate extended protein synthesis. (12)
If more size is your goal, you will get better results if you focus on protein synthesis stimulation. No matter what else you’re doing to stimulate growth, protein synthesis is one of the most important keys to success. Use the tips presented here, and don’t forget to shop 5% Nutrition for all your supplement needs!
- Phillips, S., M, Tipton, K. D., Aarsland, A., Wolf, S. E., & Wolfe, R. R. Mixed muscle protein synthesis and breakdown after resistance exercise in humans. (1997) Am. J. Physiol. 273(1 Pt 1): E99-107.
- Cheng, J., & Du, J. (2007). Mechanical stretch simulates proliferation of venous smooth muscle cells through activation of the insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor. Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology, 27(8), 1744–1751.
- Norton LE, Layman DK. Leucine regulates translation initiation of protein synthesis in skeletal muscle after exercise. J Nutr. 2006;136(2):533S-537S.